Thursday, 20 September 2012
Now there has been lots of very exciting things happening in the beauty and cosmetics industry the last few years but if we don't keep up to date constantly it's like going in blind when it comes to knowing what is the best option available.
Technology is being developed at an amazing rate and it's hard to keep up with the most current and effective beauty treatments to suit our skin.
I thought I'd write about two products that really stand out for me and are worth giving a try.
I've also mentioned some upcoming events in The David Jones Melbourne store based around these products which are fantastic to take advantage of. These special events that are run every now and then are such a great way to learn about new products from the experts and get some great deals on the latest products. Anyone can book in for them but they usually have limited spots. If you will be in the city around those dates I really recommend checking them out, or even enquiring on other events run by your favourite brands!
Many people have now heard about the incredible discovery behind the skincare company SK 11 (pronounced 'SK Two', not 'ski!') but for those who haven't it's actually a fascinating story.
In the 1970's a japanese scientist noticed something quite unique about elderly sake brewers; although there faces were wrinkled and aged, their hands were incredibly smooth and youthful due to their constant interaction with the yeast fermentation process. This discovery led to the formulation of an ingredient called Pitera. Pitera consists of vitamins and minerals and proteins that match the nutrients in the skin and is found in all SK11 products. It will renew the skin, keeping it supple, radiant and clear.
The Facial Treatment Essence is more than 90% Pitera and only 2-3 drops per day underneath your moisturiser is needed to help hydrate and treat the skin. The retail price is $100 for 75ml.
SK11 offers a wide range of facial products, all with this unique ingredient.
A good way to try the products and also treat yourself is through the services offered by the cosmetic counters.
For example, the David Jones Bourke st counter is offering free hour long facials using their full range for purchase of ANY two of their products from 1st October - 20th October.
To make an appointment and try this amazing product or to find out more about SK11 you can call the counter directly to speak to an expert on 96432472
I absolutely swear by the essence and have already booked in for a facial myself!
The scientists at Clinique were the first to discover a way to fade pigmentation caused by sun damage, hormones or scarring in a safe and ongoing treatment. This is the last step before laser treatment to remove dark spots.
A lot of women suffer from hormonal pigmentation during pregnancy, the sun can cause age spots in men and women and we also have those annoying little blemishes from pimples that never seemed to heal!
This serum is the easiest way to fade those spots, used twice daily and always with sun protection (the sun is what causes these spots to over produce melanin and darken) you can get up to 53% reduction over about 8 weeks.
It uses a botanical extract and also some exfoliants to break up the pigmentation and also increase your cell turnover so that the new, clear skin comes to the surface faster. Although to completely remove most pigmentation you will need some kind of laser treatment, the Even Better Clinical will fade it to almost unnoticeable in most cases.
They have just released an eye cream which has been advertised on the TV a lot, offering a 30% reduction in dark circles around the eyes. So now the boss doesn't need to know when you have had a big night! Haha.
This product in particular is one of my favourites, most eye creams can only hydrate to reduce puffiness and make the circles appear brighter- but this one actually fades them! It's also very well priced for a prestige brand eye cream- only $50!
The Clinique counter at David Jones is running a special Masterclass around these products, so you can go along and learn about exactly how they work, if they will suit your skin and also about all the tips of how you can create the clearest skin possible, from daily skincare to makeup and coverage. This is for only one night, Thursday 27th of September.
Its designed as an elegant high tea, with only about 10- 15 people in each session so that you can really get the most out of it.
It's only a $30 booking fee, which is redeemable on products purchased and there will be special gifts for anybody who purchases any of the products as well.
If you are interested and want to make a fun afternoon with a few friends feel free to call the counter on 96432419 for more details.
I hope that you do yourself a favour and try some of these products! The reason I mentioned them and decided to write a post is because they are things that I use everyday and that really work for me. I write about what I believe in and want to share with people. With skincare it really is hard to know where to start but clear skin is usually the aim so these are the two standout products in the industry at the moment! Its important to stay educated and keep your eyes open for new products and to actively take part in protecting and repairing our skin!
Tuesday, 11 September 2012
What Men Really Think!
Well here it is… the questions that the women of Melbourne wanted to know about men! And also the answer finally to whats really going on inside their heads!
Just like with the women's questions I have put these together in no particular order, some of them I'm generalised the common answers with an approximate percentage and others I have chosen the best answer or two.
Whats the worst first date you have been on? What are things girls should never do on a first date?
I did date a girl once who I forced to eat an oyster and she vomited at the table into her napkin before running to the toilets.
Talking about an ex is a pretty major no no. Breaking wind is also going to put the ball slightly in the ‘run away’ court.
Girls who expect me to pay the full bill, I mean I personally will pay the whole bill as I'm a gentleman. But at least do the whole "do you want to split it" and actually be prepared to split it. Or if i pay for the meal you can pay for the drinks at the bar afterward.
Do you find it a turn on or off if a girl is loud during sex?
Most guys had similar answers about this one, they like a bit of noise- but a heads up ladies.. too much noise and they think we are faking it- which turns them off.
Do men really prefer fake boobs or real boobs? To look at or touch?
40% said real but the 60% who didn't mind fakes said that they had to look and feel real… so that kind of makes them in the real category anyway… Make up your mind boys!
Is it true that guys marry girls that remind them of their mums?
No way, surely not consciously?! Although we will always compare your cooking to our mums, and sorry but she will always do it better…
Here's one thing I don't understand about men:
Why does it take them so long to take a shit? I know they take magazines in there but really... Half an hour is just ridiculous.
It’s pretty much the only place in the house we can escape you, so we just don’t rush things!
With the invention of the smart phone its quite clear what we are doing, we are poo'ing, playing games, checking emails, Facebook, twitter. Its easy to get distracted as well, toilets are time warps… much like washing machines steal socks. Just one of those things hahaha!
If the girl your dating changes her hair colour to dark brown from blonde and you have only ever liked blondes, would you tell her?
Only ever liked blondes? The issue here is girls thinking all guys have a type. Who ‘only ever likes blondes’? That’s dating suicide for a guy to cut 50% of his target market based on hair colour. If it looks good, it’ll take some time to adjust and it will suit the girl. If it looks awful, then the girl has already called her Mum and all her friends, cried for a couple hours and threatened to cut if all off anyway.
Can you tell if a girl is trying to hide her imperfections during sex?
100% of guys asked this said YES! And most also mentioned how sexy confidence is. So relax ladies!!
How do men really feel about dating a single mum?
Well dating a single mum is one thing, marrying is a different conversation. So I'm going to go out here on a limb and suggest that most guys who are serious about the relationship and who like kids won't have an issue with it at all. But if the guy is serious and doesn't like or want kids its going to turn him off straight away… And guys that aren't serious, well you can connect the dots.
This one will vary a lot from guy to guy. It adds another dimension to the relationship from the very beginning, which can be wonderful…yet also scary. If we really like you we’ll be super nervous on how well your kiddo takes to us, and whether the dad is in the scene. Probably what’s important is be sensitive and focus on building up the relationship between the two of us first, if we are captivated by you, how can we help but fall in love with little junior too?! :)
Do guys even know what foreplay is?
Yes! Whoever asked this question needs to get a new man ;)
Eh yeah. It’s a type of golf match.
What is the most common pet peeve that men have for women?
Your constant approval seeking with outfits, hair, makeup, and jewellery. We DO NOT CARE how you do it, just make sure you look sexy and we don’t have to answer questions. End of story
If your girlfriend, has guys purely just as a friend, why is it such an issue for them to hangout just as friends?
That sounds like the boyfriend has trust issues either with his girl friend or her male friend, or its quite possible that he is actually cheating on her himself. There should be no reason as to why girls cannot have male friends, nor is there any reason as to why they cannot hang out.
Would you ever date a girl who is taller than you? Or would it be to intimidating?
This one was about even, with half of the guys saying that height was no problem and the other half admitting that it would make them feel a little insecure or inadequate.
What is the first thing you notice on a woman you are attracted to?
A. How big her boobs are- 0%
B. how flat her stomach is- 0%
C. Her face and smile 60%
D. Her personality 40%
D. Her personality 40%
What do you do If you're in relationship and your girlfriend gains weight? would it bother you? Would you say something?
This is a tricky question but i'll be honest. Weight isn't the issue here, its more about the life style of the person your are dating. To put on weight means you would have had to stop exercising and start eating badly. That would probably bother me more than the weight itself. You date someone because you like them and the way they live their life. You share the same values and ideas and your lifestyle will generally be similar, hence the whole reason for being together. When that changes (which it will and always does) you have to make a decision, do you live with it or do you not live with it?
What would be the best birthday present ever?
Although the answers varied a little the common denominator in most answers was such an obvious male cliche, so amongst other things it seems most mens best birthday present really is…
Such simple creatures….
How many sexual partners would it shock you to find out your partner had had?
If she’s slept with more than I have I'd be mad
Well if she were the same age as me and had slept with double or even triple what I had i would be shocked.
If your house was on fire and you could only save one thing which would it be?
a) your playstation
b) awards/ trophies/ medals
c) your car- 10% (I hope that was a joke!)
d) your girlfriend- 90% (right answer!)
Do you ever really mean it when you say a girls looks better without makeup?
They often do. Make up is part of a girls arsenal of creating a fake profile to hide behind, the lashes, the extensions, the fake tan, the full face make up, the push up bra and the high heels. The more of that going on, the higher the risk is of waking up next to a balding midget monster once it’s all removed.
Natural beauty is better every time.
Less is more. And if you’ve ever had to wait for a girl to get ready, the time saved not wearing makeup is a god send.
Whats the best thing about being a guy?
Not having to wear makeup
Being able to get ready in 5minutes if needed, and still look damn fine.
Having a penis is pretty cool too.
The world is our urinal, we can pee anywhere, and we can do it standing up
hair cuts only cost 25 bucks
did i say having a penis already?
Monday, 3 September 2012
Now I always like to write a bit about beauty, health and fitness- all those things that we need to keep an active life but I thought I'd sum up a few things that I consider being the most important, so if you don't do anything at all for your skin and for your body this should be the bare minimum.
It all sounds very straightforward and its things that we have all heard before, simple things but its still amazing how many people I have come across in my work in the beauty industry and just in general who either don't know or they ignore these facts!
So here's a quick summary in no particular order, it's all so easy- I like good choices to be easy and quick, not so they become a chore!
1. Drink Water! I thought I'd start with my most obvious one, just to get it out of the way. We all know how important this is for our skin and our body, we are made up of 70% water ourselves so it makes sense that we need it to stay healthy! This can be easier said than done I think so a good idea is to buy yourself a nice water bottle from a sports store or something so that you can reuse it and can keep it with you all the time. If it's next to you then you will drink it, it will become a habit to reach for your water bottle.
2. Take your Makeup Off Properly! This one doesn't apply to men (well some men maybe) but it's so important for us women. Its very easy after a big night to just collapse into bed and think that it's ok to leave the face on for one night- but thats another 8+ hours that your skin can't breath properly. It's keeping all the dirt and oils trapped and not allowing the natural oils to escape. The eye area is very important, because the skin is so much more delicate there if you have black eyeliner and mascara seeping into that skin it can stain and damage that thin skin around your eyes. The easiest way to take makeup off is with a proper remover and cotton balls but the makeup wipes are so handy when you are tired. I wouldn't use them every day but for travelling or night when you are exhausted (or wasted) they are fantastic! It takes two seconds, wipe your face and put on some night cream to help repair your skin as a bare minimum on those nights. I'm lucky to already be in a routine so no matter how exhausted I am my face gets the full treatment, cleanse, wash, clarify, lotion, eye cream and night cream- but thats me and I'm a bit crazy with skin care! Haha.
3. SUNSCREEN! Again, this one is super obvious and I feel a bit like a broken record but it's one that even I am guilty of not doing up until recently. I was already using so many products on my skin, I never had the sunscreen handy enough to put on as well and I always secretly worried that it wasn't good for my skin. However during some training recently I learned some amazing facts that has really ingrained it in how important it is. I also saw for myself how the sunscreen sits on your skin and doesn't absorb into it so it won't undo all of the good things your skincare does. One fact that really stuck with me was the fact that 80% of skin ageing before the age of 60 is caused by the sun. So think about someone you know who is around 60, and imagine that 80% of the lines, age spots, loss of elasticity etc wasn't there. How amazing would they look? So if we use sunscreen everyday then we can prevent a lot of those things. So now my sunscreen sits in my bathroom, right next to my makeup and I put it on underneath my foundation. It actually works as a great makeup primer too!
4. Exercise (at least a little bit)- Now I know that a lot of people reading this will already have a great exercise routine and know the value of it but I'm writing this as if to myself a few years ago. These days I love to keep fit and try to make it a part of my everyday lifestyle but up until a few years ago even a short walk around the block was too much effort! I don't know what clicked in my brain but I just started small. I would walk my dog around the block most days and feel really great because I was getting my butt off the couch. Then I started to jog a bit as well, maybe halfway, then the jogs started getting longer and when I had time I'd go for a bush walk up steep hills to really start to try something challenging. All of those little things led to me being able to complete the half marathon this year (22kms). If somebody had of told me that 2 years ago I would have laughed in their face. Even if you hate exercise, it doesn't have to be hard. Just keep it simple and try for a start of an hour a week, you can break that up into two 30min sessions or 6 ten minute mini workouts. You will start to feel stronger and more positive each week until you're doing 30mins most days without realising its an effort because you are loving the results so much!
5. Don't Smoke- Now I only feel I can write this because I have been a smoker myself and so it's not me being judgemental at all. I used to absolutely hate people who would get on their high horse and do the smoking lecture thing. I wasn't even sure if I was going to put this part in, just because I know how annoying and frustrating it can be. It's only been about 6 months since I quit properly so I can only speak from my own experiences of trying to quit and then finally succeeding. I've written about this a little bit before and explained that I just started by cutting back, then if I wanted one I didn't beat myself up over it because having just one was better than the four or five I would usually have had. Everyone knows why we shouldn't smoke, my main concerns were for vanity reasons to be honest, for my skin and also because of the smell. I never used to be able to smell it on me or on other people but now that I can it's been a bit of an eye opener. I honestly do feel stronger and better since quitting but at the time its so hard, I used to be terrified that I was never going to be able to quit. It's the same as starting to exercise.. small steps.
6. SMILE! The happier we are, the longer we live. By smiling we also make the people around us happy. Of all the beauty tips in the world the thing that is going to make you the most beautiful is what's inside you, if you show the kindness in your heart to the world then you are making it a more beautiful place as well :) A positive outlook attracts positive people!
I hope that readers get at least something out of this post, it's all really super obvious stuff and I didn't even go over diet or anything. Even though we all know it, sometimes we just need that reminder to actually put this stuff into practise.
We only get one body, and we put so much effort into other things in life like jobs, maintaining cars, saving for holidays and doing things with friends but those things at the end of the day you aren't stuck with.
Our body is the only certain thing that will be there no matter what, we have to rely on it for our whole lives, every single day. So it makes sense that we put a bit of effort into keeping it healthy and strong!