Sunday 22 June 2014

Lets run away...

"Ask yourself: 'Can I give more?'. The answer is usually: 'Yes'."

-Paul Tergat, Kenyan professional marathoner





Because running is so convenient most fitness journeys start with this simple exercise. You don't need any special equipment, it costs nothing and you can do it anytime, anywhere.


After spending a day running around Melbourne filming a fitness commercial I had that familiar ache in my body the next day as a sign of a good work out. Even though I run several times a week, it's amazing to see the difference that a change in your routine can make. I find running a great way to unwind and reflect on things so usually I'll do a comfortable pace for 5-10ks. However the director had us really sprinting and pushing ourselves so it was a great challenge for my body.


It doesn't matter what your fitness level is or how slow you go to start; it really is the best way to get in shape, burn extra calories, and improve your overall health and fitness. By adding sprints and stairs you can really mix it up to get great results.


According to Runners World.com you can burn an average of 190 calories per 30mins of running.

You can get a more personalised calculation here:

http://www.runnersworld.com/tools/daily-calories-calculator

I love convenient exercise that fits into your lifestyle, which is why I always keep running shoes and shorts in my car just in case! Even if you only have a spare 20 or 30 minutes, you are always going to feel better if you get moving rather than kill time playing on your phone and checking Facebook!

It's such a social way to keep fit! I often run with friends and we reward ourselves with a nice breakfast or smoothie afterwards to catch up on gossip.

We are so lucky that Melbourne has an active culture and you can make your own track through the city or along the beach. Some of my favourite runs in Melbourne are the Tan (3.8km) and Albert Park Lake (4.7kms) and I love running along the Foreshore Track.

Apps and wristbands are a great way to track your progress, in the past I've used Nike app and Run Keeper to track my distances but the Body Wise App is my favourite because you can upload data straight from your wristbands like a FitBit or Jawbone and it will keep track of your activity. It's also great for comparing times and setting challenges with friends.

Using Apps is a great way to stay motivated. My brain tries all kinds of tricks for me to slow down but knowing that you're trying to beat your PB or race against a friend means that you keep pushing a little further.

Even if you start by walking with short bursts of jogging, eventually you will see results if you set achievable goals each week.


When it comes to running the only thing that will ever hold you back is your own excuses... 


*meanwhile I'm writing this blog in bed with my cup of tea, moaning about my sore muscles. So now I'm taking my own advice and getting up to put on my runners. Let's do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback, questions and info requests! xx