Thursday 23 August 2012

A day in the life...

Well it's been a big couple of weeks for me, I've hardly had time to exercise so am feeling guilty and lazy but we all have weeks like that so I kicked myself into gear and jogged around Albert Park when I got home from work. For me, once I have my running gear on I feel more motivated so thats half the battle. Going for my run was a great way to relax and think back over everything that's been going on. There were some things that I'd been nervous or worried about and it was a good time to reflect and realise that no matter how daunting something seems, everything always works out and you make it through intact. Life always goes on and it only becomes enriched with each challenge that we face!

The craziness all started from my last shoot, it was a fairytale theme for some advertising so that day off my usual work was spent dressed as a princess in the arms of a male model playing prince charming, it was fun! The 5year old inside me loved playing dress ups! I've also spent a busy few weeks putting together a blog post that involves men and women asking and answering questions about each other anonymously. It's going to be a great read and it's been so interesting to see what everybody is  really thinking! I've been lucky enough to have some feedback from some high profile people, although its all anonymous so I can't say who! I hope you guys enjoy reading it once it's all done! 

I also started the Captain Morgans promotional campaign in Melbourne. For those who don't know Captain Morgan's is a type of rum that is designed to mix with coke. Im not usually a rum drinker but it tastes kind of like vanilla coke- very drinkable! The launch for the campaign was last weekend and it involves the charismatic Captain Morgan and 12 of his beautiful Morganettes! We arrive at a club full of energy, do the special Captains Dance on arrival and then play a game with the club goers called 'key to adventure!' where the captain gives people a key to the treasure chest and if the key unlocks the chest then they get a prize. It's such a fun job, we have a dance and chat to the patrons for about 45 minutes  before making our exit. It was a full on weekend, working 3 nights in a row but so much fun and all the other Morganettes are great girls. So definitely keep an eye out for us in nightclubs over the next few months! 

As I work full time I know that I couldn't commit to going back to study, although there are so many other things I've always wanted to try. I have never been somebody who wants to look back and think 'what if' so I was determined to tick something else off my list anyway, to do further study in something that really interests me. We are so lucky to have things like Open Universities which means we can study via correspondence and work towards something at our own pace so I finally decided to enrol in a journalism course. I'm so excited to start studying and trying something new. If I can do it then anyone can- it's so easy to enrol and I feel as though it's given me new energy and direction.


After my busy weekend, on Sunday night Chris spoilt me with a surprise horse and carriage ride around the city. We had always seen them around and thought it would be something fun and different but never made the time. It was a really beautiful gesture and a great way to relax and enjoy some of the sights of our amazing city. It's very touristy and corny but sometimes those things are the most memorable! It was so thoughtful and I really did feel very special and loved! We also had a chat to the driver and I found out where the horses stay at night which is something I'd always wondered! 
391200_10150976230410404_1654345096_n.jpgTo top the night off he cooked me dinner and filled the living room with candles when we got home… It was so romantic and I just felt so grateful to have him. God knows what I did to get so lucky. Its not always the huge big presents that matter the most but the simples things like a candlelit dinner that fill our hearts with so much love. It meant so much to me, after such a busy weekend, to feel so nurtured and appreciated. That thoughtfulness goes a long way in keeping that honeymoon period going. So for any guys reading this, take notes! The horse and carriage is a great idea, and to Chris, because I know he supports me by reading my blog- thank you from the bottom of my heart. 

Also this week I did my first bit of filming for Neighbours, it was just an extra part (I play a performer at an open mic night, but don't worry- I don't actually perform so you wont have any burst eardrums if you watch the episode!) but it was a great experience and a good way to see what really goes on behind the scenes. The cast and crew were really lovely and friendly but there was a lot of waiting around and repeating things until they got the takes they were after, very different to the photographic work I've been used to!

Last night we went out with some friends to a cute Thai restaurant in South Melbourne called Sweet Lemon which was lovely and intimate and the food was delicious. Perhaps a little too cozy to be comfortable at the beginning but once a larger table left it was better. Id go later in the night with a very small group (no more than 4) to really make the most of it, otherwise its a bit squashy.

I've also been in training for my role as a beauty advisor for Clinique so that has been very interesting as well- expect some more beauty tip posts to come! 
Tonight we are just relaxing at home, listening to the rain on the roof and enjoying being cozy and warm. We cooked one of my favourite meals, vegetarian lasagne which I love because its so hearty and yet still healthy! I thought I'd share the recipe as well. 

So just a bit of a catch up on how diverse Melbourne lifestyle can be, I met some fantastic people, tried new things, worked really hard and came out smiling at the end of it! 

http://www.facebook.com/CaptainMorganAustralia 

www.open.edu.au

http://www.facebook.com/CliniqueAustralia

Ingredients (serves 4)
  • 800g butternut pumpkin, peeled, cut into 1cm-thick slices
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 medium brown onion, finely chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, crushed
  • 1 medium red capsicum, chopped
  • 2 medium zucchini, halved, sliced
  • 1 medium eggplant, chopped
  • 200g button mushrooms, thickly sliced
  • 400g can diced tomatoes with oregano and basil
  • 80g baby spinach
  • 30g butter
  • 2 tablespoons plain flour
  • 2 cups reduced-fat milk
  • 1 cup reduced-fat grated mozzarella cheese
  • 125g dried lasagne pasta sheets

Method
  1. Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Arrange pumpkin, in a single layer, on tray. Drizzle with 2 teaspoons oil. Bake for 20 minutes or until tender. Set aside.
  2. Heat remaining oil in a heavy-based frying pan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, capsicum, zucchini, eggplant and mushroom. Cook, stirring, for 10 minutes or until eggplant is just tender. Stir in tomato. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer for 10 minutes or until sauce has thickened. Remove from heat. Stir in spinach. Cover. Set aside for 2 minutes or until spinach has wilted. Season with salt and pepper.
  3. Meanwhile, melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat until foaming. Add flour. Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, for 1 minute or until bubbling. Remove from heat. Gradually add milk, stirring to prevent lumps forming. Return pan to heat. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until sauce boils and thickens. Remove pan from heat. Stir in half the cheese. Set aside.
  4. Lightly grease a 7cm-deep, 25cm (base) square baking dish. Spoon half the onion mixture into dish. Arrange half the pumpkin over onion mixture. Place half the lasagne sheets over pumpkin, breaking sheets to fit. Repeat layers. Spoon sauce over top. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake for 40 minutes or until golden and pasta tender. Stand for 10 minutes. Serve with a nice glass of red wine! 
  5. Relax, enjoy your lasagne and get somebody else to do the washing up!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback, questions and info requests! xx